Friday, May 6, 2011
I know it was a stretch. Get it? Menage e ....oh never mind. The point is, I get around when it comes to blogs. I am polyamorous when it comes to the blogging world. I am doin' it with everyone.
For instance, ever blog hop? I love to follow "blog trails". Hop on one site, see who they have in their blog roll, hop on another...etc. I have found some of my favorite blogs this way. You can start at bellydance and end up on blogs that feature Korean Elephant Finger Painting or some such anomaly.
Inevitably when I list my resume.....published in Shimmy and Zaghareet!...been dancing for 13 yrs, working on several books, have a blog, I get the eye rolls, and the comment. Oh.... a blog.
I am like "What? Blogging is cool".
They are like" It is just a bunch of boring narcissistic rambling and back patting".
I usually say" Yeah, some are, but mostly you can learn anything about any subject from a variety of different perspectives".
That usually shuts them up.
But it is true. I follow blogs by fellow witches, Indian food cookers, Everything Armenian, Autism blogs, Astrology, and a few weird ones. Blogging ( if you have the patience to wade through the few truly bad ones out there), can be like strolling into a bookstore, and learning. I follow Gail Sheehy, in the book Passages perspective of learning which is " sometimes you have to know what you don't like before you can know what you do", which means I learn just as much from the perspectives that I don't agree with as much as the ones that I do. Some blogs royally piss me off. But I can respect their right to their opinion as much as I have my right to mine. And I am sure I do my fair share of pissing off as well.
So I am gonna take this time to do some pimpage. Some exploitation of my favorites and new favorites.
I'd also like to say if you'd like to be on my blogroll and for some reason I am too dim to have followed your blog then please by all means send the link. I am always looking for a new blog, and I read the posts daily. I like our little blogging community and I hope it expands. We here in the blog world are a bit promiscuous.....nasty, but oh so nice.
My Blog "partners". Spreading the love one blog at a time, baby.
1. I am so pissed off at myself for not catching this one earlier The Occidental Dancer....and she has been blogging since '09! Raqasa writes a fabulous well written blog about bellydance and bellydance related stuff, and she is FUNNY. Sometimes PEE your PANTS funny.( of course I favor that biting sarcasm dry type of humor). Luff it.
2. Tempest is my kinda gal. She writes heavy, intelligent stuff and usually delivers chewy bites of thinkin' girls mental food on her blog, Tempest's Teapot. After reading her posts, I usually feel like I have just eaten a large piece of cheesecake covered in chocolate sauce. I need to sit on the sofa and digest for a bit.
3. Foxy Roxy at Shimmies, Sequins, and Slippers is like the head cheerleader in high school, not the snotty one, but the one that everyone liked. By that I mean that she is smart, unbelievably gorgeous, but at the same time so down to earth. I love that she is never afraid to say what she thinks but there is also an air of lightness to what she posts. Great blog. Read it.
4.Naima. Naima. Naima. Read Naima's Bellydance blog...... you never know what you are gonna get. Cats sitting in odd positions. Gorgeous handmade bedlah. Dazzling drum solos to arcade sounds. Her blog is like Mr.Toads wild ride. Hang on.
5.Kis at Kismetisms Emporium of the Old seems like the Martha Stewart of the bellydance blog world- she seems to have it together. Her blogs are witty, to the point and very streamlined. A good read.
6. You can tell that Princess Farhana is a writer, by what she writes and how well she writes it. Her blog is great, and right now she is running a wonderful series called The Thinking Gal's Guide to Bellydance Styles. I am eatin' it up.
7. I'll stop at 7 because I am highly superstitious and seven is lucky....Lilith Noor's Crumbs in the Costume Closet is a lot of fun. She has a sense of humor and I love seeing how she pulls together some hot looking costumes!
Now, don't be gettin' your panties all twisted up if I didn't list you....I read everyone's blog. Everyones. I just like the number 7, that's all.